RESURRECTED: My Famous Sweet & Spicy Chili Recipe

I've resurrected an old blog post from this past April as part of Mina's Blogfest II.
-----
Like my stories, I like my chili sweet and spicy. Here's a recipe of my famous (at least famous with my family and friends :) Sweet & Spicy Chili. It's super easy and very delicious so give it try and let me know what you think!

**Disclaimer: measurements are my best estimations since I don't usually use measurements when I make my chili so feel free to adjust depending on your tastes!

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb - lean ground beef (or turkey)
  • 2.5 tbsp - chili powder (separated)
  • 1/2 tsp - salt and pepper
  • 1 tbsp - olive oil
  • 1tbsp - chopped garlic
  • 1 - 15oz can of red kidney beans
  • 1 - medium can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 - small can of tomato sauce
  • 1 tbsp - brown sugar (I use Splenda blend)
  • 1 - onion, diced
  • 1 - green, red, or yellow bell pepper (I use a half of all three!), diced
Preparation:
  • Season the ground meat with 1/2 tbsp of chili powder and salt and pepper
  • Heat oil in a dutch pot on medium and add in garlic, stirring until brown
  • Place seasoned meat in the hot oil and cook thoroughly until brown
  • Stir in red kidney beans for about 5 mins
  • Add diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, stirring until it's at a boil
  • Stir in brown sugar and 2 tbsp of chili powder
  • Add in onions and peppers, stir and mix in well
  • Reduce heat and let simmer for about 20-30 mins
Note: I add the onions and peppers last because during the simmering stage they soften considerably!

Once it's ready to serve, enjoy with sour cream and/or the Sweet & Spicy Doritos chips (the purple bag! :).

How do you like your chili?
http://www.minalobo.com/

Comments

M. J. Joachim said…
This sounds positively delicious!
Carrie-Anne said…
I love textured vegetable protein in mine, and could probably try experimenting with making a vegetarian chili from scratch with tofu or tempeh crumbles instead. It's nice and hearty, and almost fools me into thinking I'm eating meat.
Nana Prah said…
I like my chili mild. This recipe is perfect for the upcoming cold days.
O-o-o-oo, now that sounds delicious, especially with the weather breezy and barely 40 degrees here today. Good Resurrection! I want to make some chili now!
L.G. Keltner said…
I love my chili spicy and with lots of vegetables. Your recipe looks interesting, and I'll definitely have to try it sometime. Thanks for sharing!
Mina Lobo said…
Hilariously, I was looking at the local grocery store for their chili and they were out! This looks yum, but I'm avoiding sugar - would it kill the recipe if I made it w/o the brown sugar? (I don't much care for Splenda.)
Yolanda Renee said…
Yum, I'm making chili tomorrow! Great fall food!
Mac Perry said…
Sounds delicious!
Lena Hart said…
Thanks for stopping by and commenting everyone! I hope those who try it find it delicious! =)

And Mina, you can definitely leave out the sugar if you like you chili more spicy than sweet. =)